Work, play and adventure with us in the BWCA on the Gunflint Trail this summer!
Clearwater Lodge & Canoe Outfitters is looking for exceptional summer staff who are passionate about the outdoors and customer service. Completed in 1926, Clearwater Lodge is the oldest and largest free standing whole log structure in the region and is listed on the National Historic Registry. Clearwater Outfitters has operated since 1915, making it the original outfitter on the Gunflint Trail. Along with general lodge and outfitting services, we also offer 12 lakeside cabin rentals which capture the spirit of the Northwoods.
Positions Available: 2-4 Guest Services/Housekeeping, 1-2 Outfitting/Waterfront/Facilities
Our Guest Services staff work to ensure guests have a great vacation by keeping buildings and grounds cleaned and maintained as well as being friendly and helpful representatives of the resort.
- Housekeeping – All guest services staff will clean cabins and lodge rooms during weekend shifts. For general housekeeping shifts, you may be asked to clean cabins, lodge rooms, shower houses, bunkhouses, or any of the common areas in the lodge. There may be times where you are asked to assist the Outfitting Manager in cleaning canoes or outfitting gear as guests check the equipment back in.
- Laundry – With 12 cabins, 5 lodge rooms, bunkhouses and shower houses, there is no shortage of laundry. It will be ongoing throughout the week and all Guest Service staff will assist with this task.
- Kitchen – We serve breakfast daily for our guests, and provide sack lunches to people who are going out for canoeing or hiking day trips. You may be asked to assist in preparation of meals, serving, and general meal clean-up. You may be asked to help in the preparation of daily staff dinners.
- Lodge / Common Areas – Guest Services staff help in the oversight of the lodge porch/common areas. This includes cleaning the main lodge, sweeping and cleaning the porch, and maintaining outdoor areas (fire pit, grills).
- Front Desk/Store – Guest services staff are the face of our lodge! Staff may work desk shifts that include guest check-ins, store purchases, and general hospitality duties (answering questions, providing provisions, helping with issues). Staff are responsible for restocking store inventory and maintaining a clean, organized front desk area.
- Some Guest Services staff will be cross trained in Outfitting and Facilities and be able to flex between both departments based on need.
Our Outfitting/Facilities staff works to ensure guests are prepared for a successful trip into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, whether it is a day trip or a multi-night adventure. In addition, staffers help to maintain grounds and facilities, providing minor repairs and upkeep.
- General Outfitting – Staff are expected to maintain a high level of cleanliness & order concerning all things outfitting (i.e., outfitting room, outfitting porch, food room, tent hanging rack/cleaning table and shuttle vehicles). Staff are expected to maintain awareness of upcoming canoe trips, guests on the water, and returning trips.
- Outfitting Packages – Staff are responsible for maintaining sufficient inventory on outfitting food, and preparing/packing food & gear for outfitted trips.
- Shuttle/Tow – Outfitters are responsible for shuttling guests to and from various BWCAW entry points along the Gunflint Trail. Staff will utilize resort vehicles and canoe/gear trailers. Planning for and performing shuttle services to various entry points on the Gunflint Trail
- Waterfront – Staff will assist guests at our waterfront dock with gear rentals, preparation and directions, water safety, and excursion maps/advice. Staff will maintain waterfront equipment (fueling boats, cleaning and stowing waterfront gear, organization of boathouse).
- Some Outfitting staff will be cross-trained in Guest Services and be able to flex between the two departments based on need.
Click the link below to download our application:
Please send your completed application to: email@example.com
Dates of Employment: Season runs approximately May 10, 2023 – October 15, 2023. Actual employment dates will vary on an individual basis to accommodate school schedules, etc.
Wages and Schedule: Wages are paid hourly and include housing and meals for all staff. Wages start at $11.00 per hour plus room and board. Employees are scheduled for approximately 40 to 45 hours each week, scheduled days and hours may vary. All staff will be working Saturdays & Sundays. Staff are provided 2 consecutive days off per week. On your time off, you are welcomed and encouraged to use our watercraft, canoeing and outfitting gear to explore the area lakes and trails. We believe the more you learn about the area, the more helpful you can be to our guests.
Room and Board: Housing and all meals are included. Staff housing can be private or shared (1 roommate). There is a private WiFi network in the staff housing area. Staff utilizes the resort laundry facilities after hours for personal laundry. The staff uses the shower house restrooms and showers. Breakfast and lunch items are provided for you to eat on your own schedule. Dinner is prepared and served family style and we all eat together.
Remote Location: We are located 26 miles north of Grand Marais, MN, halfway up the Gunflint Trail, in the heart of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. Clearwater Lake is an entry point into the BWCA. Our remoteness caters to folks who want to take a break from the constant connectivity of a 21st century lifestyle. Cellular service is extremely limited on the Gunflint Trail (there is no cell signal at Clearwater) and WiFi is only available in a few resort buildings including the lodge. If you can’t handle a summer away from the conveniences of modern life, then this might not be the position for you. If you can appreciate working hard during your shifts, and then slowing down, disconnecting, and heading out to explore in the heart of an untouched wilderness, we’d love to hear from you!