BWCA Canoe Trip Packing List
Packing well can make a huge impact on how enjoyable your trip is, so here are some good guidelines to follow. (To download a PDF version, click Outfitting Packing List.)
|Average Monthly High/Low Temperatures|
|May 62°F/38°F June 69°F/48°F July 74°F/53°F August 75°F/52°F|
|September 59°F/44°F October 46°F/32°F|
When packing, remember that durable, versatile, and comfortable is the most important thing!
Lightweight or medium clothing that can be layered will be more versatile than a few heavy items. Try to pack items that will serve several purposes. Avoid cotton jeans, sweatshirts and sweat pants as they take time to dry and are very heavy when wet! Shoes should be good boots or sandals, quick drying, and give good arch and ankle support. And remember, at the portages, you’ll have to carry everything you brought.
- One full change of clothes
- Gloves and hats in the Spring and Fall
- Two pair of shoes – 1 pair for day and 1 pair for night.
- Several pair of quick drying socks – wool is good
- Mosquito Repellent
- Lip balm
- Swim wear
- Personal toiletries
- Flashlight or headlamp
- Good pocket knife
- Rain Gear – good rain gear can make for a much more enjoyable trip
- Fishing Gear – Light to medium action rods are good for the BWCA. Many visitors bring two-piece rods, since they are easier to travel with. Fresh fishing line is also important and should be 6 to 8 lb. test. Don’t bring your full tackle box. Remember, you have to carry it all! Put together a small tackle box with favorites or an assortment which will provide a good base for all fish species.
- And last, but not least, a complete set of clean clothes to leave in your car to change into after you return to the lodge and take that nice hot shower!
If you are flying you can ship items to us before your visit. Please just let us know so we are expecting it. We can also ship them back to you after your trip.
If you are interested in items that we can provide, check the other BWCA Outfitting pages on our site by clicking the links on the right. We can provide you with a completely-equipped trip, or just a piece of gear or two — and everything in between.